On Monday, May 4, 2020, I attended the monthy State Board meeting at the NYS FOP Headquarters in Hicksville. Several issues were discussed.
- FOP Plates Program: The License Plate Program is going strong
- Good of the Lodge: Lodges must increase the growth of Lodge 81 or similar Lodges or another Lodge could possibly take it over.
- NYS FOP: If your Lodge is celebrating a milestone anniversary this year, Please let Mike Nied (NY National Trustee) know, so that the National Lodge can issue a special
certificate. New & Old Applications for membership must contain a current Signature and Beneficaiary name. Please remember to remove all Law Enforcement stickers / decals before disposing of a
- The FOP Legislative Committee: NO Lodge can make a political endorsement. All recommendations will go through our Legislative Committee and the final call will be made by our
lobbist Bob Unger. Under the NY "Safe Act", members were reminded that a Health Professional is able to pull your firearm.
- Charity Committee: None
- Survivor's Aide: None
- State FOP Foundation: None
- National Memorial: The National FOP has partnered with a music video producer to produce a 24 minute tribute video that will be followed by a slide presentation of the 108
honorees whose names would have been read aloud at this years' service. It will be made available to the families, on all FOP social media platforms and to the media.
- NYS Empire State Police Officer Memorial: Lodge 81 was mentioned in a Thank You for our $100 donation for the May Memorial at Headquarters. Expenses
for the memorial were $9,500, there was a deficit of $2,000.
- National FOP: The FOP has continued to see quite an increase in membership, with well over 351,000 members in over 2,160 lodges nationwide. Member cards will continue to be
sent out to lodges on a delayed basis. The National FOP is close to rolling out their FREE mobile app. It is also moving forward with transitioning the "FOP Journal" into a digital publication.
National President Yoes and the Grand Lodge has been workinghard to improve the ways to get information out to the membership. One of the more recent methods has been the "State of the FOP" webinars
available to state and local lodge leadership which provides news on three (3) important areas: COVID-19, Police Week and FOP Healthcare.
- Chairrman of the Trustees: None
- National Trustees Report: The National FOP has partnered with Aetna to develope a Medicare Advantage Plan for retirees who are Medicare eligible. Complete program info
can be found at fop.aetnamedicare.com. The "Officer Wellness" section is featured in the recently established "fopcovid19.org" website, and of vital importance is the "Help Lines" area for anyone needing assistance. If any member needs assistance or guidance with
any travel plans to other FOP states, reach out to Mike Nied and he will do his best to contact his fellow National Trustees to assist you. New York receives numerouse requests for similar assistance
from many other states and we have been successful in assisting those brothers and sisters. Please don't hesitate to send me an email at email@example.com or text/call @ (631) 383-1310. For a complete current PDF "National Trustee Report" from NY Trustee, Mike Nied, go to DOWNLOADS/FORMS on this website.
- State FOP Scholarship Committee: Scholarship Fund will be on the State website and can be downloaded. Must be a member's child. For each scholarship per lodge, a donation of $250
from the lodge and the State will match the $250. Requirments will be on the State website.
- Treasurers Report: Sterling Bank, PAC, Investments and Long Term Liability were on report.
- NYS Conference: The Conference will be held on Sunday, October 25 & Monday, October 26, 2020 in Albany. $125.00 per double room (2 per room).
- National FOP Conference: The site of the 2021 Biennial Conference will be in Indianapolis, Indiana and is scheduled for August 16th - 19th, 2021. There are 12 hotels in the
immediate area of the convention center with over 16, 000 rooms available.
- Guest Speaker: None
- Next State Trustee's Meeting: TBD
The State also wanted to remind members about the Copyright of the FOP logo. If you make anything with the FOP logo you must obtain permission.
The State will be conducting audits of the lodge paperwork. One of the main issues they will be checking is to see if the member has
submitted a copy of his or her law enforcement ID active or retired. This has become an issue with the insurance company that holds the AD & D life insurance policy for the FOP. If a member has
passed away and a claim is filed for the insurance the lodge must produce a copy of the members signed application as well as a copy of his or her active or retired photo ID. If the lodge does not
have this the claim will be turned down. So if the member has not yet submitted a copy of his or her ID please do so at once. If you are an associate member you must submit a copy of your drivers
Remember to always check the State Lodge website at www.nysfop.org and Lodge 81 website at www.nysfop81.org for additional information about
any upcoming events, meetings dates etc.
State Trustee Lodge 81