On Saturday, February 23, 2019, I attended the monthy State Board meeting at the NYS FOP Headquarters in Hicksville. Several issues were discussed.
- FOP Plates Program: None
- Good of the Lodge: As NY State has banned any insurance company to supply liability insurance for firearm carrying, the NYS FOP is vetting CCWC to provide a "service" to our members
in case of a shooting. The amount per year is expected to be in the $135 range. Further information will be given if an agreement can be reached.
- NYS FOP: The NYS FOP hosted 14 Law Enforcement unions at State Headquarters to discuss the proposed changes in the Peace Officers Status (Bill 155A) and 2019 State budget.
Update: The proposed changes have been removed from the budget. The NYS FOP lodge will be purchasing a barrel of Jim Beam reserve. It will be put into a specail designed bottle with the NYS FOP Logo
on it. Each bottle can be be had for a donation of $100. Further details to follow.
- The FOP Legislative Committee: NO Lodge can make a political endorsement. All recommendations will go through our Legislative Committee and the final call will be made by our
lobbist Bob Unger. Under the NY "Safe Act", members were reminded that a Health Professional is able to pull your firearm.
- Charity Committee: None
- Survivor's Aide: None
- State FOP Foundation: None
- National Memorial: None
- NYS Empire State Police Officer Memorial: This year it will be held on Saturday, May 4, 2019 at State Headquarters starting at 11:00am. Their will be 73 names so far to be added
to the wall at a cost of about $60-70 per name. Lodge 81 pledged $100 for this event and the total pledged of the lodges present was $4950. Members are encouraged to attend in either business attire
or Class A uniforms. Please arrive by 10:00am. The NYS FOP has a new Honor Guard with new uniforms. They may be ready to open the May Memorial Service.
- National FOP: A Discussion was held about the National FOP Convention to be held in New Orleans on August 10-15, 2019. Each lodge must supply the names of the delegates to
State Headquarters no later than May 1, 2019. Associate members do not qualify to be delegates. Any member in good standing who is interested in becoming a National Delegate should send an email
request to Lodge 81. The minutes of the election results must be submitted to State Headquarters.
- Presidents Report: None
- Chairman of the Trustees: None
- National Trustees Report: The National FOP's longest serving National Trustee, Jim Crowley of Utah, passed away this past November 3rd after a long battle with brain cancer.
The voting order of the staes were conducted by lottery, NY will be voting 41st. Discussion on Staes recruitment efforts and the good work in NY. Dicussion on Grand Lodge mobile app. Dicussion of
admission costs and the concerns of the National FOP of the Museum's sustainability and possible impact on the Memorial Wall. Please don't hesitate to send me an email at email@example.com or text/call @ (631) 383-1310.
- State FOP Scholarship Committee: Scholarship Fund will be on the State website and can be downloaded. Must be a member's child. For each scholarship per lodge, a donation of $250
from the lodge and the State will match the $250. Requirments will be on the State website.
- Treasurers Report: Sterling Bank, PAC, Investments and Long Term Liability were on report.
- NYS Conference: None
- Guest Speaker: None
- Next State Trustee's Meeting: Thursday, June 27, 2019. There will be a Bar-B-Que at meeting
The State also wanted to remind members about the Copyright of the FOP logo. If you make anything with the FOP logo you must obtain permission.
The State will be conducting audits of the lodge paperwork. One of the main issues they will be checking is to see if the member has
submitted a copy of his or her law enforcement ID active or retired. This has become an issue with the insurance company that holds the AD & D life insurance policy for the FOP. If a member has
passed away and a claim is filed for the insurance the lodge must produce a copy of the members signed application as well as a copy of his or her active or retired photo ID. If the lodge does not
have this the claim will be turned down. So if the member has not yet submitted a copy of his or her ID please do so at once. If you are an associate member you must submit a copy of your drivers
Remember to always check the State Lodge website at www.nysfop.org and Lodge 81 website at www.nysfop81.org for additional information about
any upcoming events, meetings dates etc.
State Trustee Lodge 81
On a Personal Note: Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah and a Happy New Year